Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
Dean College Bulldogs

Second Half Surge Sends Western Connecticut Past Football, 33-22

Errol Breaux had two touchdowns for Dean, including a 93-yard kickoff return for a touchdown in the Bulldogs 33-22 setback to Western Connecticut State (Frank Poulin photo).
Errol Breaux had two touchdowns for Dean, including a 93-yard kickoff return for a touchdown in the Bulldogs 33-22 setback to Western Connecticut State (Frank Poulin photo).

Western Connecticut State 33, Dean College 22
Records: Western Connecticut State (1-0), Dean College (0-2)
Location: Lippert Field, Franklin, Mass.
Date: Saturday, September 8, 2018
Time: 12:00 PM

Western Connecticut State scored 20 straight points spanning the third and fourth quarters, erasing a deficit and breaking open a close game on their way to a 33-22 win over Dean College in non-league football action on Saturday afternoon.

The Colonial defense was stout, holding a Dean squad that racked up 427 yards a week ago to just 151 yards of total offense and 3-for-17 on third down conversions.

After a scoreless first quarter, Western Connecticut capped a seven-play, 51-yard drive with two-yard touchdown run by the slippery Khalil Patterson (Hartford, Conn.).

The Bulldogs answered back by moving 59 yards in nine plays highlighted by a fourth and three conversion when Terrell Watts (New Haven, Conn.) connected with Quintus Reid (New Haven, Conn.) for 28 yards. Reid then capped the scoring drive with a seven-yard touchdown run that saw him dive into the endzone.

Things stayed that way until the start of the second half when Duane Gary (New Haven, Conn.) returned the kickoff 53 yards, deep into Dean territory, which led to another short touchdown plunge for Patterson.

Trailing 13-6, the Bulldogs got a huge play from their defense as London Chambers (New Britain, Conn.) picked off his second pass of the day and returned it the 37 yards to the Western Connecticut eight-yard line.

On fourth down, Watts floated a pass into the left corner of the endzone that Errol Breaux (Marietta, Ga.) was able to snag and when they converted the two-point try, Dean was suddenly up, 14-13 midway through the third quarter.

Dean had the ball later in the period and after moving 15 yards, Watts saw his pass intercepted by Jaret Devellis (Newtown, Conn.), who returned it 43 yards for the go ahead score.

On their next possession, the Bulldogs moved the ball into Western Connecticut territory when Watts was intercepted again – this time by Troy Thomas (White Plains, N.Y.) – who outraced everyone up the far sideline for a 60-yard touchdown, making the score, 26-14.

The Colonial offense got its third rushing touchdown of the game when Gary sprinted nine yards for its final score with less than eight minutes to go.

Breaux inched the Bulldogs closer when he returned the ensuing kickoff 93 yards for a score and even with a two-point conversion by DeAndre Grange (Teaneck, N.J.), Dean would get no closer.

Patterson ran for 124 yards on 22 carries, including the aforementioned two scores to lead the Colonial offense.

The Bulldog defense played well, holding Western Connecticut quarterbacks to 7-for-25 with 87 yards through the air.

Kevin Maxen (Southbury, Conn.) was the star defensively for the Colonials, totaling eight tackles including 2.5 for loss.

Wadell Alceus (Apopka, Fla.) and Malik Brown (Miami, Fla.) each recorded eight tackles for Dean, while Chambers snagged a pair of interceptions and had a tackle for loss among his six stops.

Both teams are on the road next Saturday with Western Connecticut heading to Plymouth State while Dean heads to Salve Regina.