Score: Westfield State 81, Dean College 72
Records: Westfield State (1-0), Dean College (0-1)
Location: Pieri Gymnasium, Franklin, Mass.
Date: Saturday, November 9, 2019
Time: 4:00 PM
Westfield State used a bevy of players who bombed away from three-point land and the visiting Owls pulled away from Dean College in the second half on their way to a season-opening, 81-72, win over the Bulldogs in non-league women's basketball action.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Owls attempted 50 three-pointers, connecting on just ten – but a huge one came in the fourth quarter when Melissa Gray drilled one with a little less than two minutes to go, pushing Westfield State's lead back to double digits.
- Down 41-39 at the half, Dean committed 12 turnovers in the third quarter that helped the Owls outscore them 26-15 to take a 67-54 lead going into the fourth quarter.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Makayla Rudder (Springfield, Mass.) finished with 23 points, ten rebounds and eight assists for Dean.
- Alexah Potter (Providence, R.I.) had a monster first collegiate contest, totaling 20 points and 22 rebounds, while classmate Nathalia Minchala (East Patchogue, N.Y.) added 12 points, seven rebounds and four assists.
- Chelsea Mousette led the Owls with 14 points and Gray added 13.
Dean is back in action on Tuesday when they travel to Colby-Sawyer for a 7:00 PM start.